Years and years ago, I had a dream and Jeff and I set our plan -- get him thru school, then get me in and through school, and start out family along the way -- Our Goal? That we both have solid jobs, with flexibility and long term security so that we can focus, together, on our family...
So, as life's path's take us....
Dr. Gamel-McCormick, committee member and incredibly supportive of my PhD--
I interviewed at UD 4 years ago, first with him -- and he helped direct my path!
I interviewed at UD 4 years ago, first with him -- and he helped direct my path!
on Friday, I had the pleasure and honor of thanking my amazing husband -- in my eyes, he got 2 degrees in the last 4 years - -his RN and an honorary PhD for dealing with me!!, family, and friends for their support on my PhD journey -- the hooding ceremony at University of Delaware -- It was an intimate event with mere 126 PhD candidates, about 10 from my program, and we were the last of the last to walk across the stage...
This faculty member was not on my committee!
I am thankful for my advisor and a fantastic committee for supporting my research process, and to the great faculty at UD BIOMS program for their infinite knowledge and wisdom... and, as I counted my blessings and those who have been supportive along the way, I looked up and saw Jeff and little man up with family who could make it, in the balcony, directly within my view and what a joy it was to see Jeff and Little Man together...It feels like a lifetime ago -- almost 4 years -- I started school and Jeff was in his last year of nursing school... several years of working at CHOP, teaching at Misericordia, and fulfulling my research assistantship role at UD while taking full time classes, planning and getting married, and doing an adoption. The journey looking back had so many "Surprises"... But, no doubt, during that time, we were blessed by the incredible support of family, friends, and adoption professionals with whom we could have have achieved our goal --- our agency, our family at CHOP in our IA team, our friend and colleague Alla, Shelly Saunders our HS SW, Annie Steinberg psychiatrist who helped with our paperwork, our accountant, and so many more people who rose to the "HELP, we need this NOW" calls for documentation......all the while we were taking tests in school, passing competency exams, starting new job at CHOP (Jeff), etc -- What a CRAZY time...Reflecting on all this, I am surprised I was not asleep in the rocking chair before little man.
But, Friday -- well, Friday -- what a day, and what a night... At the end of that road, I sat -- with our son, amazed at the twists, turns, and speedbumps and ever so sure they all needed to be there -- no matter how emotional, how cognitively or financially or emotionally challenging -- we had to go thru them together to get to this point... And, I know, along the way, we were also very very much supported on the wings of angels in heaven smoothing the way... As our friend Bethany said, something to the effect of, "It never ceases to amaze me the way things come together, when at times it seems as if they never will"...
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished...
That will be the beginning"
Louis L'Amour
That will be the beginning"
Louis L'Amour





10 comments:
Congratulations! I have to agree with the card. It is all just beginning, but what a wonderful journey you have to take! Love the pictures. Little man looks like he has always been here...
Congratulations, Amy!! What a year, huh? And so much more wonderful to come...
Jackie
Congrats!! What an amazing accomplishment and what a journey you have been on, especially this past year, but definitely one that has the best ending and one that has started a new beginning for you.
Wow! What timing! To have this doctorate completed on the same week LM comes home (or close to)...that is more than a coincidence. You're right--there are greater powers at work here. Congratulations, this is a HUGE achievement, and how amazing and blessed you are to share it with LM!! I am so thrilled for you (and jealous that you already have what I covet--a PhD). I will call you DOCTOR Amy now. *wink* :)
We're so very proud of you & Jeff for all you've accomplished, Amy K.! And, to think that you're starting a whole new chapter of your lives now with precious LM. What timing! It was a dream come true to meet him yesterday, too, & I can tell he's going to keep you guys young with all his little boy curiosity, energy, & gosh-darn cuteness. What a lovely family & congratulations to all of you for your milestones & achievements. Love,
Aunt Norine
Congratulations Amy! It's amazing how in such a short time life can change SO much. Enjoy the new beginning.
WOW! Congratulations! What an incredible journey you have taken and are about to take! Enjoy! Little man is too cute!!
Dr. Amy: You sooo inspire me. Congratulations on your PhD. **You deserve all the joy in the world.**
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs,
Laura xoxo
Wow Amy, CONGRATULATIONS! That is so awesome!
ok, i am bawling my EYES OUT!! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PHD! wow!! and how perfectly poignant that your son was there to witness it.
I have chills.
God is SO good. :)
Post a Comment