Thursday, May 14, 2009

The President Celebrates the Nesbitt Family

Can you believe it?? Our first day together as the Nesbitt clan and the PRESIDENT OF RUSSIA came to Kirov to celebrate with us!! How lucky!! LOL...

Sure, sure, he drove all around the city and gave a wave to the baby home, but we KNOW that inside, he was so happy to know we'd found each other, and gave us a blessing on TV to travel back to the US... ok, so we don't understand Russian, but I think that is what he said..

Meanwhile, our day in and around the baby home setting was awesome! We asked to take him outside – they told us it was only his second time out – we wonder if his first time was the car ride on Tuesday to passport photo place??
LM enjoying his see saw -- Really, he is having fun -- can't you tell??
Oh, and Pay no attention to the woman with
the "Love is in the Air" t-shirt who sorely needs a shower and hair wash in Moscow with a hairdryer! LOL
So, of course they let us (they are INCREDIBLY accepting here, willing, interested in the children, and supportive of the parents! It is SO different from “the past” and we will leave it at that, but I am NOT talking about Romania!) Out we went, into the wild blue yonder. Or at least the park outside. Which was wild as the grass has not yet been cut. It was hilarious to see little man exploring – while he is getting his balance to do a super cute, arms up, on toes run inside, walking on unsteady grass and dirt bumps for the first time was like watching him walk for the first time (which we missed) – by the end of the 2 or so hours, we was more careful about his footing and barely fell. We are big hikers, and can’t wait to get him out on hikes, so I joked between the tall grass and overgrown trees and bushes, this was good practice and, thankfully, he seemed to like it!! How do we know? A couple of smiles, but really simply b/c he kept moving and checking things out – to PAPs to be, remember that everything is new – we find that, with each “new” situation, our little guy clams up, holds on, and his eyes watch EVERYTHING closely – he is soaking it in, trying to figure it all out…. Often Now what woman wouldn't swoon to see their boys bottoms
walk past them like this? SO CUTE!! Love love love it.

I’ve heard adoptive families say they “missed” the firsts -- - look closely future PAPs, and be open – I can’t tell you how many firsts I know Jeff and I have seen – and we know there will be more – firsts don’t always need to be what you think or what the world expects them to be – they can come in simple pleasures, like we have found already –
  • First bubbles
  • First time we saw him smile
  • First time we heard his giggle
  • First balloon
  • First ride in a swing
  • First time “saying” something (“more”) and having someone respond clearly
  • First walk in the park..
  • And so many more, already –
  • They are there – look for them, relish in them…
  • I feel so lucky we are seeing so many “firsts”…
Anyway, with the other 2 couples and our primary coordinator gone, it is interesting – the pressure is off, and the atmosphere more relaxed. Our translator was available at the drop of a hat/need for “how do we say…?” and an English student of hers came and hung out for the afternoon as well…. The afternoon it was quiet in the playroom – just us and his older buddy with our Michigan friends… We played, we fed him (We began to teach him to the “more” sign during our first meal with him on day 1 – we agreed from the first day of this trip, expectations of eye contact and basic communication would be taught and held to, and it makes SUCH a difference already.. and today, for first time, he he even signed “more” BY HIMSELF without us prompting him when he wanted more cookie. Mealtime is the most motivating time to teach sign, and eventually he’ll pair it with sound, or so we hope. Anyway, BY HIMSELF.) I am telling you, this kid is a genius.

He was much more invested in playing with us without all the hub-bub.. We played games like “go get Papa” (holding Mama’s hand, running towards Papa, and then Papa scooping him up and making a big fuss over him – Little Man LOVED this game – for 16 months, to do something for 20 minutes means love)… And he enjoyed yet again bouncing around on his ladashka (horse) with Mama flying him thru the air… Yes, Gamma, get ready, the other thing this LM has a fascination for is horses. YAHOO…

He and I cut out of “hang out in the playroom” game and obnoxiously asked if we could barge into the next room, where older kids were having music…. The music teacher was awesome – she welcomed us right in, showed us a seat, and we were the audience.. LM sat there, watched, rocked to the music, and for several songs he let me help him clap his hands --- he was mesmerized in a good way with it – The older kids were adorable –at one point, there was a song about chickens, and the teacher put these little chicken caps on all their heads – then they acted out a song, and they really enjoyed it. It wasn’t “rote” for them – they truly were invested, she was engaging, and together they were having fun. This baby home truly is amazing – I have seen only incredible care giving – all caregivers loving kids, gentle diaper changing, kind touch, etc..

We are back in the hotel now – we leave in the AM with out bags (it is MIND BOGGLING how much 1 little boy may need for the next 5 days – honestly, 1 full rolly bag is toys, diapers, a potty seat cover thanks to a loan by the Fillmore girls!, and several changes of clothes in case the flight is, well, overflowing with tummy fun…
After this post, we’ll venture out to the pub right outside the hotel, enjoy this beautiful evening, and go to sleep dreaming of tomorrow – The day he REALLY becomes ours…

This will be the last post until we are settled into our apartment in Moscow – Cross your fingers for our prop plane ride tomorrow!!!! Talk about an adventure!! Oh, and Thank you, Mr. President!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY To Tanya and Kelli!! :)
WELCOME to Moscow, Deary Family!!
See you soon Chrissy & Steve (in Moscow!)

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, & our kids met the President the day they became citizens. What a trend! So glad LM loves exploring the great outdoors & has picked up signing so fast. Not only is he so cute, but is very bright, too! Keep enjoying seeing the world through his beautiful eyes. Hugs to all of you! Aunt Norine

The Gum Gang said...

Oh dear God, another plane ride? I have butterflies for you! He is so sweet that I am sure you have more important things to think about!! He will soon enjoy his first field trip with his Mom and Dad!! Not all kids get to go to Moscow this young! Have a safe and wonderful flight and can't wait to hear more in Moscow.

Kris said...

So exciting to read your posts, what a wonderful trip this has been. You are so right about the 1sts, everything is a first, because it is the first time it has happen with you.
Enjoy the rest of your time there and best wishes and lots of prayers for an uneventful flight!!
Jeff to answer your question-bring your own vodka or beer on board!
Looking forward to the first post from Moscow, I remember such a sense of relief getting there and feeling a huge step closer to America and home!

Diana said...

Amy, I told you to stop making me cry! I will try to restrain myself when we pick you up at the airport in DC but forgive me if I cry with joy all over you and your son. You are so eloquent in describing your experiences (and helping others along the way, just like you to do). The "past" was truly difficult but look at the reward for hanging in there! Sounds like LM is falling in love with you two as easily as you are with him and, of course, he's a genius! Hope your flight was good (or at least uneventful)and you settle in well at the apartment. Looking forward to hearing more adventures and to next Wednesday when you all come home!! Much Love, Mommy (Carl and Ashton, too)

PS. Ashton is adapting well, shedding all over the house, snoring away, and missing you lots! I can see LM will have a hard time holding on to his toys with this "mouthy" retriever:-)

Laura said...

I am sooooo thrilled for you guys!! I love the pics of LM and I agree -- we relish in all the "firsts" as they are OUR firsts. Everyday, we look at our little Kristina and see what a blessing she is ~ and I know you're doing the same with LM.

We're hear in Moscow until Saturday morning and pretty much trying to get Kristina to bed around 9pm. Ha, ha -- I hope your first night is better than ours! (It wasn't bad once she fell asleep!)

Have a good trip and talk to you soon!!!

~Laura :)

Becca said...

Hey You!! It is definitely a joy to read how things are going and I can't wait to meet him in a few weeks. The plane ride won't be an issue. Afterall, his grandfather is a pilot!
And, of course he is a genius. He takes after his Aunt Becca. :)
BIG SMILES!!! From his Aunt Becca, Uncle Brian (no not officially still- you didn't miss that)and his cousins... Love you!!!!

linda s. said...

Amy &Jeff,
Congratulations to both of you on your new little boy from all the Nesbitts. We wish you many joy-filled days with your son in Moscow while you both are getting to know each other. We are all so happy for you and for him.

Linda

Peffleys said...

I am so Happy for all of you. What a wonderful day. Wow, you are official parents now, I know you have been in your hearts ever since you laid eyes on him. He is beautiful. He is so blessed to have you. Amy you are glowing in those pictures, and I do not mean from the lack of beauty products. You are amazing, thinking of others at this time, sharing your experience and encouragement. A is willing to share some of his signing time videos with LM. He spontaneously signed two signs together. I wonder if he has been waiting to talk til LM got home. LM sounds wonderful, but it is his mom talking. I am sure he is all that and more. I share the sentiment that your mom sent. What a beautiful story although there have been many bumps, cliffs, and detours, you made it to the intended end, you found your son. The one "chosen" for you. Welcome to official parenthood. You say you have not slept well. Good luck in the days ahead, I will pray not only for your safety, but also sleep and sustained sanity. This is why God makes them so cute. Especially in the middle of the night. If LM likes horses, maybe he wont mind the bumpy ride to Moscow. I will be axiously waiting to hear that you are safe and sound back on the ground. Lots of love, Terri

Kris said...

I have been thinking about all you guys have been through this past year and how many times we have talked about how it all makes sense in the end. It still amazes me, when I see a family completed, especially after a rollercoaster ride, how it really DOES make sense, it becomes so clear. Sometimes it is quick, sometimes long, but in the end you find your way to each other! He is truly the son meant for you and you guys are the parents meant for him.
(((((HUGS))))),
Kris

I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
--- Robert Frost

Donnadman said...

Hi Amy, I'm so glad that your journey to Kirov has been so amazing and magical! Had no idea that your son was such a chub a wub! And his hair.....LOVE IT! Thinking of you, Donna

carrie said...

Hey Amy!
You sound like you are having such an amazing time! Yeah!!! You have such a great outlook on this time in your life. I love the picture of LM and his daddy! Sending lots of prayers your way.

Carrie

Amy, Jeff, LM, SC, & Ashton said...

Hi, guys!
awake early and THANKS so much for your comments -- they are really giving me added smiles! Yes, LM is a CHUB given his baby home status. This kid can wield a serving spoon like no one i have ever seen -- and o fcourse, he will never see one other than in a serving plate again after today! LOL... but, of course, this OT mom is very proud of his self feeding skills! also of the fact that he has tolerated us regressing him back and lets us feed him no problem.... hopefully that keeps up b/c we plan to keep it up for bonding/attachment stuff!
thanks all! :)
oh, and a word to those coming behind us -- bring your night shades -- the sun is up at 3:30am! ZING!

Fillmore Five said...

I am so happy you keep us updated on what has been going on every day! It is so exciting to read and see pictures of Aslan. I can't wait to meet him! Hurry home...but safely! Good luck with your jaunt to Moscow. 'Till tomorrow!
(((Big Hugs)))
Cynthia

Bethany Willis Hepp said...

This blog is a beautiful thing. I start blubbering crying each time I read a post -- when the music kicks in, it is all over and I'm a HUGE mess.

This is such an incredibly beautiful time in your family life -- that you are sharing it in such a way further illustrates what an amazing family are and how truly lucky we all are to have you in our lives.

I can't wait to see you...all! It has been a long time coming and like you said, well worth the wait!

All the love and positive energy in the world is flowing to you three in Russia.

swendt said...

Yea, we are all so happy for you both and can't wait to meet Aslan. Could it possibly be that he is Potty trained? The mention of taking a potty seat cover sparked my intrigue and jealousy :-) Enjoy all the "firsts" you are having with him as those are what you will remember the most and take lots of pictures. Cant wait to meet him and see you later this month. Safe travels home!ow

Anonymous said...

I am finally catching up on all the incredible beautiful journey you have been through this week and it has taken me down memory lane of our journey 5 years ago at this exact time. Our "Gotcha Day" is 2 days apart. We celebrated this past Monday! I can emphathize so much with your emotions and you are right it is much harder to put emotions into words than the actual facts of the day. It is like no other "out of body experience". The smiles on your's and Jeff's face say it all. You two have come a long way and you now you have so much now to look forward to. No looking back! LM looks amazing and he sounds like he is adjusting beautifully. I am sure there will be some bumps, but that is to be expected. My hope is that your flt back to Moscow was easy. Your blog about your sudden flt to Kirov from Moscow brought many flashbacks. "Yes' it is amazing it takes 6 hours to go 300 miles. Our flt back to Almaty from Kostani with two new little ones went amazingly smooth and I was expecting the absolute worst. My hope is the same is going to be true for you when we all check in on the next BLOG! LM is so lucky to have the two of you as his two amazing parents. Alec & Charlie can not wait to meet him! BIG HUG through cyberspace to all of you from the Wright clan! P.S. I used Alec's gmail acct to login so do not let this confuse you!

Unknown said...

OMG, I am so computer illiterate that I didn't know til Bethany's post that there was that beautiful song on your blog! I had the mute button on. You & LM must be to Moscow by now & we hope the flight went well. I find myself on the blog so much, sharing in the emotion of all this & loving that your dream has come true. Your LM is a treasure & we love him & you! Our hearts & prayers are with you on this incredible journey & you really are a family! Enjoy your time in Moscow & I hope your apartment has shades or heavy curtains so you can sleep. :)