Tuesday, May 19, 2009

...Victory Day...

...Victory Park...
As we headed into the US Embassy to get a visa for Little Man so that he could come into the US, my mind swirled with amazement -- this was the last stop on our paperwork whirl (don't worry, folks at AO, we know we have all the post placement and registration work to do at home! LOL)... I was holding Little Man who was, in his infamous "finger in mouth, eyes wide open" pose, taking it all in, and I couldn't help but hold him a little tighter... And, I thought about his road to us... This little boy lived for almost 17 months with 9 other kids, 24/7 in army boot camp -- he learned how to soothe himself to sleep, to "negotiate" with others to get toys, to seek attention when there was little time for it to be given from his loving but overworked caregivers, he learned to use the potty years earlier than most little boys, he learned to feed himself (and to eat the same foods almost every day), and overall, become extremely competent at a young age to fend for himself... He learned that if he cried no one came, and that if he was hurt, there were simply not enough hands to always come and kiss to make it better... And so, he learned that while the hands were gentle and the people loving, they rotated shifts and he learned that he must figure out his own way in life, be his own consistency, and meet his own needs... And, in 5 days, he has come so far -- he seeks out eye contact, he babbles when he feels secure and connected, he smiles and seeks approval at times when he is proud of himself, he allows us to bathe him in a strange place, to feed him new foods, to change his diaper, to love him with kisses and hugs and he snuggles right back... He has learned to sign "more" during mealtime, and last night and this morning started using it during play exchanges more frequently.... and, just before I sat down to do this final post from Russia, as we finished packing, neither of us were paying close attention -- do you know he has learned to stare us down and yell out, and then smile like it's the best day ever when we turned and went over to him?? We know that he has a lot to learn and a long way to go, but to us, he is just amazing --- He is our little hero...
While Victory Day is May 9 in Russia, given all our Little Man has gone through in his life, and what we did to get to him, May 19 will forever live in my memory as our family "Victory Day"... and my two men my heros... Little Man for all it took for him to get to us, and my Jeff for his incredible support as we walked our own road to little man.
And so, what more fitting to celebrate?? You got it.... We went to Victory Park -- a large memorial park for heros of Russian military just outside the central ring in Moscow...To celebrate and rejoice with our little hero....Celebrating together in our Victory

Papa and Aslan Slay the Adoption Dragon
As we head off for a new set of adventures together as a family with Ashton holding gaurd over us all, we can't express our thanks and gratitude to everyone who supported us along the way -- we are blessed with incredible family, parents with whom this would not have been possible, phenomenal friends, and one terrific agency. We can't say enough about the support from Brent and Michelle in the US, and from the dream team here in Russia -- Andrei, Ilya, Lena, Olga, Sasha, and Tatiana -- they know what they are doing, they do it well, and we were completely at ease letting them take control while we got to know our boys... To all, we are so very very thankful -- I hope you enjoy the adventures posted from home!
And meanwhile, to my two men --- Victory, boys, Victory...

13 comments:

Kris said...

Congrats on wrapping up one amazing journey. Thanks for your incredible posts, it was like being there with you guys! We ar so happy for you and look forward to your arrival home and the start of your new journey! Take care a d safe travels, see ya in
PA!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic victory it is & a dream come true! And, as I'm writing this you're winging your way home to start the next chapter of this story. We can't thank you enough for sharing LM's story so eloquently & we feel like we've gotten to know him. Of course, we can't wait to meet him after he's had some "chill" time at his new home with his doggy, etc. God bless you Amy, Jeff & Aslan. We love you.
Aunt Norine & Uncle Tom

Becca said...

I am so excited that you are beginning your journey home. Looking forward to seeing you all soon. God took his time (he does that) and found you your perfect angel, Aslan. See you soon.
Love ya- Becca

Unknown said...

Amy - Your posts and pictures are really wonderful. Thank you for bringing us along on your journey, and for sharing this with us. We can't wait to see you all home safe, and to meet your new man.

Lots of love to you all,
Lesley & Dawn (and L&T too)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on ending your adoption journey, looking at your pics, bring back so much, I have been home now 5 months from moscow withmy now 2.5 year old son. He was in Moscows #22 home!

carrie said...

Congratulations on your amazing journey! Your blog is so beautiful...you write so well! Have a safe journey home. Looking forward to catching up with you and your new son.

Carrie

Jackie said...

I cannot say enough how happy I am for you, Jeff and that BEAUTIFUL little man. I look forward to following along and watching him grow :)

Big hugs,
Jackie (& Nola)

Laura said...

As one journey ends, a wonderful, new journey lies ahead.

I am blessed to have shared this journey with you and it was only fitting that on the last night of our journey, you end up being 2 blocks away so we can celebrate our victories together.

Can't wait to catch up with you at home...Godspeed!

Hugs,
Laura

Shane & Marie said...

Ok, this post just brought tears to my eyes. Our little ones have gone through so much and it sometimes slips our minds that they have. I am so glad to hear he is doing good and he will only get better. Have safe travels home! Can't wait to hear that all 3 of you are on US soil.

Anonymous said...

I have just finished reading your Victory Day blog which was 5/19 and I am reading it on 5/21. I can't help but think that today is also Victory Day since you hopefully arrived back on the good ole USA soil last night. So 5/19, 5/20, 5/21 should all be dubbed Victory Days in your book. As Christopher and I said the day we finally arrived home with our two little men
"THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME". As you know, your arrival home is 5 years to the day that we arrived in the USA with Alec & Charlie. I will never ever forget how I felt when our plane touched down at JFK. The emotions and exhaustion were beyond words and all I could do all day yesterday was think about the 3 of you landing and driving back home and steping into your home as a family forever! The thought of it brings a big welt into my throat and chills up my spine. I must also admit it is taking everything in me to not call you today, but I know how unbelievable exhausted I was when we got back into our home which is the driving force holding me back to call you. My phone rang off the hook and it was to much to handle on top of adjusting to time change, and two new little men in our home.

Yes, you had some tough battles along the way to becoming a family and a few you might feel that you lost, but in the end, you have won and become a beautiful family! The difficult battles will fade into the sunsets and now may you only look forward to many wonderful family moments.

In one Blog comment section along the way, I believe it was your Mom who wrote about how lucky the men in your life have been to have found you. I could not agree with her more. Your two amazing men are very fortunate to have found the amazing Amy who is so so talented at what she does be it OT,Phd candidate,wife, and now Mom. If it had not been for our adoption of Alec & Charlie, my life may not have found its way to you. I am forever thankful for that meeting of the roads. You have been an incredible resoure to me and my boys. Aslan is going to love you dearly as his Mom. You are a remarkable person!

I could not he happier for you and Jeff that this day of becoming a family has finally come! May the continued journey of being a family be filled with good health and happy moments! Welcome home!

The Gum Gang said...

I can't wait to start reading updates about your adventures here in the states with your little man. Welcome home and enjoy!

Becky said...

Belated congratulations!! The semester is now over and I've read your blog for the first time in awhile. I LOVE all of the pictures of you guys and Aslan, he definitely is a cutie. His hair is adorable!! You all are in my prayers as you adjust to being back in the US in a different timezone and with many new challenges :-)

Susan said...

ok, i am crying yet again..THANKS!!

LM is so freakin adorable and I'm so happy that you found each other!!! :)