Tuesday, May 12, 2009

SURPRISES….”At least I (we) am (are) enjoying the ride”… (Grateful Dead)

Surprises abound in the last 24 hours!! For those of you joining us today on this leg of the Amazing Race: Little Man Stoli, take note: bring warmer weather clothes when traveling to Russia in May!!! The 10 day forecast last week was off by about 10* for the high – it is HOT here!! ☺ Seriously – first surprise was yesterday (Monday, for those losing track because we are – it’s a time warp here!)… 80* and sunny in Moscow!!

Surprise #2:
Perhaps you’d like to take a guess at the above picture… I don’t know, things like:
• What does it say?
• What does it mean?
• How did it get there?
• WHERE in the world are they?
Well, for those of you who thought it looked suspiciously like an airport sign indicating a flight: You ARE correct. And you, are not the weakest link on this adventure.

Our ride to the train arrived to tell us they were taking us to the airport – all 8 of us (4 families) were shocked. A plane? To our region? Thank goodness for both our adventures in California in October, but who knew it could take 3 hours to fly 600 miles? Yes, friends, it was a lovely 24 seat propeller plane. Chris and Lisa, STOP LAUGHING. (I had images of your Kaz plane story in my head the entire time!)… We made it, and believe me, I was thinking of my mom/Carl's adventures and stories of little planes, my dad's flying and staying safe all these years, and of a story my Aunt Norine had just emailed me about Nana the day before (timely timely timely).... However, interjected between the positive "we will make it" and deep breath thoughts, I was, of course, chagrining myself on the plane for too many “hi-5’s” to Jeff in Moscow that we were almost to the gavel and should have no more surprises…LOL

So, instead of arriving this morning, we arrived last night.. And Pat, be prepared – your experience on your way to the Grand Canyon may have paid off – Tanya, to answer your question: NOPE the entire hotel has not been re-done. Apparently only a few rooms and we are not in one them this time. It is very much like Romania, so it really doesn’t bother us… truly, I don’t mind…except that I didn’t pack a hair dryer this time for the first time in this 3rd of the leg race… A little advanced warning would have been nice about the entire situation, but come on folks, this is international adoption – whatever can be a surprise and out of your control will be just that…. Thankfully, the really nice German couple happen to have a great hairdryer I can use tonight so that I am not 3 days into a scary do for court tomorrow! Beyond that, I don’t so much care how my hair goes, as we all know the most important part of this story and it is not my hair.

OK, we are OFF to the orphanage… wonder what the day will bring???

THANKS for all your support back home!! We hope you are all enjoying this ride as much as we are… Surprises aside, we do feel our team is super competent and we are excited to be back in “Little Man” territory!! They know what they are doing... and we are so very appreciative of that!!

Shouts out today to my UD bud, Brian, who defended his dissertation -- I am sure you did great, Brian!!

4 comments:

Kris said...

OMG, a plane ride to Kirov!!! Are you sure you didn't dream this all up?
Seriously, not enough Ativan in the world to get me on a plane like that, the one to Murmansk was bad enough.
So plane ride back with him or train or will it be a surprise?

The Gum Gang said...

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! I don't know how I would deal with that! :) I hope that the trip back is less exciting! If you are talking about the need for Ziplock bags on our trip to the Grand Canyon, I can't even imagine it in a plane!!! You have certainly had an adventure so far-keep going!

Tanya and Don said...

What region is it????? I feel like you are traveling to some other place on a plane of all things! LOL!! I heard there was an airport there but never heard of PAPs taking it.....what the heck?

If and when you go to the department store, will you ask about the Kirov pictoral book please? And if they have them, get me one please? I took Donna's to Staples today and they wanted $300 to make me a color copy of it! Yikes! They didn't have them when we were there. It is 240 pages in Russian and English on the history of Kirov, a must have for our boys!

Sorry about the room. At least it is warm out and you can open the window to let all the smoke out. That was the real problem. That and the moldy shower curtain that stuck to my body......don't ask!

Donnadman said...

Wowza - A plane to Kirov! What I know for sure is that you will win The Amazing Race and Aslan is your prize....the journey, wait and heartache leading up to the prize will all be worth it.

Oh my, I can see Pat on the plane now! Atleast she is a Dr. and will know what to do if she feels sick!!:)

Hugs!

~Donna