It's been 24 hours since we walked out that door, with him in our arms, and he has not looked back once. Pictures can tell 1,000 words, right? Excellent -- so, here's my "out"...enjoy the show...
As we were getting ready to put his coat on, he took off towards the door and went right to his room... I swear, all of a sudden he realized he was going, and wanted to give a proper good bye, thank you, and "I love you" to Svetlana... She was with him 1 day last trip and 3 of our days this trip -- I loved Sveta myself -- she was kind, loving, gentle -- she took time with each child to give individual attention. And, I will never know if it's true or simply she was trying to help us feel better about him, but she really seemed to have an extra soft spot for Aslan.... As he ran towards the room, I knew in my heart where he was going and what he was doing --- and he turned back and looked at me as he headed into the room and stopped. I said "go ahead -- Da" and he ran right in and held his arms to her -- As they sat there together and had their special goodbye moment, her eyes got red, and she was holding and talking to him quietly and gently... I had to take a picture --
"Good Bye, Sveta, thank you
for loving me while I was here"
for loving me while I was here"
Rules were meant for breaking, right? Well, we figure we can always get him on a schedule, but we can't always visit friends who are also in Moscow with their kids --- Last night, pretty much we dropped our bags in our apartment, grabbed a celebratory bottle of wine, and headed less than 2 blocks away to Laura and Jon's apartment to meet them in person and meet their little Kristina -- Laura works at Cedars, where I moonlighted when in LA - we know people there in common, but really, it is awesome Joan who is a mutual great friend -- and Laura and I became friends along each of our adoption journey's... I have a lot of respect for Laura and Jon -- they followed the path to EKat -- Kristina is fantastic and a great ball of wonderful, shiny, smiling personality and I can see why upon meeting her they'd do whatever the judge asked!! We do have a picture of all of us on their camera, so will post that when we do. It was a great way to end our day, as we all toasted our children -- They left this morning for LA, and we hope to see them at an AO picnic soon! (where, of course, we will insist Aunt Joan come and play with us all & meet all our other AO friends!)
Passed out cold after a long long day...
While it was "wonderful" for us, and he handled it really well, we know how hard this transition is for him -- His resilience, patience, and tolerance with his sense of humor and wonderment of it all is admirable-- how many of you would be able to have someone you barely know take you from the only place you know, from all the people you know, the food you know, the language you know -- put you on some alien craft (ie: airplane), land and immerse you in a new language, people you don't know giving you new food, etc?? He woke up smiling today. How incredible is he? I think I'd be very worried. How would you be?
just something to consider in how much his life has changed..
But, today is for another post -- he just woke up, and we are heading out to play on Old Arbat Street!! love to all! thanks for supporting us and reading! we love the comments and don't feel so far away..





16 comments:
Great pics and great writing as always, it makes us feel like we are there with you guys! I remmeber being so emotional with Maks watching him say good bye to his caregivers, you are right, they do the best with what they have and I always felt they truly loved these children.
What an amazing little guy, he is just absolutely gorgeous.
Enjoy Arbat street, I loved it there, we were excited to find Phillies and Eagles matryoshka's, which of course we had to buy.
Have fun the rest of your stay and can't wait to see you guys at home!
Dear Aunt Amy and Uncle Jeff,
I saw the picture that you sent and I do agree, Aslan does look like me. I hope I get to see him soon. Gamma showed me a video and in the video he is so cute. Is Aslan going to be at the baby shower? I hope he is. I saw your letter and I will talk to Ashton when I see him.
Love,
Katie And Jack
Hey new family,
We love your blog. Your sister in law in technologically challenged so I needed your niece to show me how to get our blog posted.
Your wonderful adventure in life has given my a reason to shop. I already have our theme shower gift completed. Don't worry all items are small (some useful, some fun). I am still planning my future BIG gifts. Hee Hee. I do believe a large princess tent and fabric tunnel occupied a large portion of my home for many moons thanks to our beloved Aunt Amy. I agree with gamma this blog makes my weepy, as did your letter to Katie (which I printed out to keep with her baby book). I cry at hallmark commercials for goodness sake and your journey for your little man is keeping kleenex in business.
Amy I am impressed as a new mom you even have time to blog, I remember bringing Katie and Jack home and barely getting to brush my teeth. We hope your journey continues to be safe and joyful and will see you soon. I will bring the tissues for me and Gamma. Enjoy him, even the tough moments are precious and it all goes so fast. I think one of the best parts of parenthood is seeing the world all sparkly and new through your child's eyes.
Love,
Barb (future favorite auntie to Aslan)
More pictures!!! I can't get enough of his cute little face! I agree that there will plenty of time for routine and schedules. Enjoy this once in a lifetime adventure with your new family and take enough pictures with both your camera and your heart to remember it forever!
What a fantastic job you're doing helping us all feel part of what you're doing! Your description of the parting of Aslan & his caregiver was so poignant, Amy. And, it shows something of LM's heart, as well as his moving forward with a sense of adventure. Oh, I just love that little fella! So, so worth the wait! Have fun getting to know each other & exploring Moscow, & know that lots of love is coming to you from your family & friends back home. Love, Aunt Norine & Uncle Tom
OMG, Amy...he is gorgeous. Gosh, he reminds me a bit of Nola. And that hair...love it!!! He is darling...and look at those chubby hands. And I was just touched by your recount of him saying goodbye to Svetlana...awwwwe.
I am so happy to see all of him and so so so so so excited for you and your husband.
Big hugs,
Jackie & Nola x
Amy and family...CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so happy for you!!
Thanks for sharing your incredible journey with us!! The pictures are fantastic!! Aslan is adorable:) Your permeates the words and makes the story come alive... I couldn't be happier for you:)
keep making those memories!
Kim
I have had the pleasure of "Skyping" with the new family since they have been in Moscow and in all of my years of being her mother (not THAT many, we are both young) and through all of the bad and the good, I have never seen Amy so happy. My love, you were born to be a mother and, while you consider yourself lucky to have found Aslan (and Jeff), I am not a bit prejudiced in saying that they are the lucky ones to have found you! He is a beautiful (and smart, of course) little boy and it is clear that both you and Jeff are comfortable in your new roles as Mama and Papa. Ashton, move over, your world is now different.
I can't wait to meet him at the airport on Wednesday (thanks for the tissues, Barb)and for the many years of being his Gamma. I'm sure Jack and Katie will make him feel right at home and teach him all the little kid things he'll need to know to drive you nuts. Get some sleep! Love, M
Amy I totally agree with you about the caregivers, they love those kids and do the best they can under the circumstances. Sveta looks familiar to me. Wonderful that you and Laura got to meet! Have a great time in Moscow!
Tanya
we are finally able to get the hang of this, thanks to Linda. Want to say how thrilled we are for you,can't wait till wednesday when your back in the Old Usa of A. Good flight and weather are wished for all of you mom
What a cutie!!!!
hugs,
Laura and Taegan
I love looking at his pictures. He is just so cute! I know how exciting this is for you all. How great that you were able to meet up with another family while in Moscow.
The picture with Sveta is so sweet. It's so hard to say good-bye. The caretakers are really saints. They do so much on so little. Our kids were so well cared for and loved given the circumstances. Kaitlyn just screamed and cried for her caretaker when we left. Broke my heart. But your adventure starts now...let the games begin!!!
ok, i am crying reading this one too!! I still remember VIVIDLY the day I got to take Leeza out of the baby house. I'm with you-the women did love her there-and they took awhile to warm up to me...I could tell they were waiting and watching to see if we loved Leeza as much as they did.
LM is soooooooooooo cute. what is his name?
CONGRATULATIONS. :)
Post a Comment