And it's incredible the "bias" I had when looking at him 1 year ago.... I thought he was an amazing kid with a great personality, and he was, but I realize now we both saw that behind his "shield" and thank the gods for making that happen... I have looked a lot lately at photos from our first meeting -- and I realize now how, really, he was scared, lonely, and "what the heck is going on here?" confused... was he a trooper? absolutely. But if you look back at photos from May and June to now, the difference is striking.. And, I believe it is not just about a baby growing up. It is about a little soul who feels safe and loved, and regardless his crazy mother, not only seems to want to stay with us, but actually likes us :)
His smiles are much deeper and meaningful. And overall his ability to understand emotion is blossoming. A fun game he and I play right now is to "make faces" -- we play "happy" (which comes with a great "he he he" from him), "sad", "mad", "scared", and "surprised". It is hilarious. Notoriously these days, almost every game we play ends up with him throwing himself into our laps, laughing and then looking for physical attention... For each of us he has his own little "baby" game that he loves to kick back and snuggle -- and he just gives us this big grin all the while... I am game for giving him as much of the snuggle and baby love he wants, regardless his age. He missed it for 17 months, and nothing will ever make up for that, so I am happy to dole out hugs and kisses...
On this particular day, he decided hanging out on the couch would be grand... never one to miss a snuggle, Ashton hopped on board as well... it was a really heart warming way to start the day... (and hey, it wasn't 4am so that added to the snuggle fun!)
His visual scanning and discrimination skills for matching/sorting, categorizing, etc are sky rocketing. A crazy example - Jeff loves to play ice hockey, but rarely gets to go because of the scheduling... when he does, it's usually like 10pm... This past weekend, a blessing in disguise of a GI bug kept me home from a girls weekend, and Sunday am he got to go play hockey -- so LM and I "met" him there (also one of LM's big things == at the end of the day, he'll say "Meet Papa UP, Mama?" ie: let's go walk to the end of the street and wait for papa to come home)...when we got there, our little Russian at heart literally acted like he'd just re-found a 2nd home. .. Jeff had on a Flyers jersey, and I took off LM's hat and showed him the emblem, then said "look for papa, he has a shirt on like this"... Don't you know that kid scanned the ice like an eagle -- and within moments not only alerted me of his "papa find" but then proceeded to watch him move and narrate:
LM: "mama, PAPA!!"
M: "yes, LM, there he is, good finding him"
LM: "mama, Papa ho-stick" (hockey stick) with a "swisch" motion of his arms (from playing w/ his hockey stick at home)
LM: "mama, Papa, ball, NOW" (literally when jeff got the puck, LM was watching all the movement and saw immediately)...
It was pretty incredible.
He does that kind of stuff all the time at home, now, too.
"LM, where is your red train" and he will literally scan the room and, if he left it in another room, tell me what room it is in, then go there and find it right away. Good thing since I always loose things right under my nose... He's going to be a huge help around here.
LM: "mama, PAPA!!"
M: "yes, LM, there he is, good finding him"
LM: "mama, Papa ho-stick" (hockey stick) with a "swisch" motion of his arms (from playing w/ his hockey stick at home)
LM: "mama, Papa, ball, NOW" (literally when jeff got the puck, LM was watching all the movement and saw immediately)...
It was pretty incredible.
He does that kind of stuff all the time at home, now, too.
"LM, where is your red train" and he will literally scan the room and, if he left it in another room, tell me what room it is in, then go there and find it right away. Good thing since I always loose things right under my nose... He's going to be a huge help around here.
Between the raindrops, we got his "weekly" photo --
Spring is coming. River house is open, and we hope to have the boat in the water soon...
Please come on by for a smile anytime.





5 comments:
Wow, it is so hard to believe a year ago we were talking about your upcoming trip, so crazy how fast it all goes!!
It is amazing to look back and see how far they have come. Maks' pics are shocking to me, in the beginning his eyes and face seemed far away inside of himself and now he smiles with his whole body.
What a difference a year makes, it is so fun to see LM's personality shining through, him and Jeff are two peas in a pod!!
I am sure he will be joining Alek and Maks on the ice very soon, that will be a blast!
Oh and I love seeing him in Maks orange shirt, that was one of my faves too! He looks sooooo stinking cute in it!
Gosh, does time fly or what?? He has got one amazing smile, that boy of yours :)
A year....already...how did that happen???? He has grown a lot and you can even see his charming personality in photos, so I guess that does officially make him George Clooney. Love the curly locks, too! Hard to believe that it's already been a year, but you sure were blessed on that day to have met this little guy. And he was blessed to have met you. :)
It is so hard to believe that nearly one year ago we waited for your Skype call from Kirov with our hearts racing and minds worrying to tell us whether THIS little boy was the one. Tears still flow when I remember your words, "You are a Gamma again!" The next set of tears came when we met him (and you two, of course) at the airport. Now it is all smiles when I think of him and see him. He HAS changed so much and is SUCH a loving,smart, and sweet little boy. He's changed so much and, as we've said, he is a two year old now who retains the "baby", which he deserves to have, since as you said, he had the first 17 months of his little life without being able to be a baby with all the cuddles and hugs that go with it. He is clearly in love with you two just as much as you are in love with him! George Clooney has no charm compared to our LM! This one year went a lot faster than the years before it and we look forward to every day with your LM (although I don't know if Gamma can watch him on ice skates with a stick in his hand without turning every shade of gray). Love, M
Here I am!! :) I merged my private blog into the public "anonymous" blog that I publish under "Nash" for Nashville. Pretty clever, huh!?! Hahaha!
Anyway, it is AMAZING how fast time flies and how big LM is getting! He is such an adorable boy!
Here I am - www.ayankeeintennessee.blogspot.com
I am so happy you found me again, I seriously was just thinking about you guys the other day! :)
Kim
Post a Comment