I went to sunrise mass today... And driving there, couldn't help but smile and cry at the same time -- I am forever grateful for the memories that Easter will always bring me now. For it is 1 year ago, Easter, 2009, that a train pulled into the Kirov, Russia station -- a dew filled, fog lifting, sunny Easter morning. It was the end of a very long journey to become a family, and the beginning of a new chapter and adventure in our lives as a family. It was the day we met our son. The "links" to the holiday were, and still are, remarkable -- almost unbelievable. The "stumbles" we had on our way, the day we arrived in Moscow (Good Friday), the story of our son's life before we came to know him, and of all things, his true name (which of course is not Little Man)... I still shake my head in amazment, and thank all those involved in making that day and moment happen... And while the dates for our "anniversary" of meeting may not match, Easter always will be the most special holiday in my heart and mind. If you are a Joel Osteen watcher (or if you are not, he's an amazing speaker) -- check out "Sunday is Coming" -- it rang to me, because I do think in adoption, we are caught in long, drawn out, painful Fridays -- but also that Sunday WILL come. And I am so grateful ours did.
On the actual 1 year of meeting week, I'll post some pictures from that first day together..
Meanwhile, here are some from our first celebration of Easter with LM home with us..
Loving Cuzn KK at the Hunt Breakfast
See... See... Food Nazi Mama Does Let Down her Guard from time to time
And yes, apparently I proved to the "local tables" and impressed my SIL with my knowledge and practical application of doing the Heimlick maneuver, because moments after this shot, after trying to wash down way too large a handful of tony the tiger goodies, our little tiger choked a few down the wrong pipe. Sure sure. Say what you want. I hear the giggles -- perhaps the moral here is that he should get tony's FF more often... THANKS SO MUCH GAMMA! We had a BLAST! :)
Checking Out The Real Deal... And Not so Sure about it...
Inside i wonder if the kid is thinking: why does she keep testing me about if I am attached or not? What, she thinks she takes me near some big scary looking outfit that is supposed to be like a life sized cute little bunny wabbit, and I'll stay close to her?? hm... Of course, it worked!
After the hunt, LM decided the horses needed some hard boiled colorful eggs. We kept re-directing him. Don't know you know that a good 10 minutes later, after he seemed distracted, he had a moment of "independent choice making" of where to go....
Such a persistent little boy, cuz here is where he went... :)
Is this horse not interested in eggs or what?
As seems to be the "luck" of the draw this year, Papa's every 3rd weekend fell right on, you guessed it, Easter... blessing in disguise, he worked 11am - 11pm, which gave us at least time for our traditional holiday hike in the very local national park just up the road...
Strutting their Easter Morning Stuff...
And then... A little surprise showed up at Papa's hospital... He/We gave up potato chips for Lent..OK, OK, so I had one very small infraction upon that as a total slip up driving home from a conference a few weeks ago with a friend.. but it was really small, like a small handful of chips... I sure hope I am forgiven. Meanwhile, for his good will and abstinence, the easter bunny showed up to surprise Papa at work with a basket of potato chips & sour cream/onion dip... Papa was surprised -- the look on his face was worth a million dollars - he is so in love with our son, and the way he lights up when they are in the room together will forever warm my heart...
Papa and His Little Easter Somethin Special
"It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" And Look Who the Easter Bunny Brought In...
Our boys, hanging together on the back deck...
Morning had broken, and tonight the sun set on our first Easter home.
WE ARE BLESSED!





8 comments:
How beautifully you expressed it, Amy! I, too, will always connect Easter with the day you met your precious son. So many feelings of you & Jeff at Holy Week & Easter last year came back to me this past week. What a blessing the four (of course, I include your big pup) you have been to each other. That pic of LM in his bunny costume visiting Papa is to die for from sheer cuteness!
And I confess, another precious memory of last year is watching your face as you were showing us your video of LM while you were waiting to return to Russia to get him. I so totally understood your feeling that you KNEW he was your child. I don't know how to explain it, but it's how we felt after we met our kids. It's just all part of a bigger plan, I think. And, I trust that plan, even through the ups & downs, because after all, we're a family & that's what our hearts' desire was. Easter blessings on all of you! Much love,
AN
Sounds like a beautiful 1st Easter together and what a long way you have all come since last Easter--just amazing how different life can be in just one short year!
So, are you just trying to be as good as me with your heimlech? Maks taught him everything he knows about shoving too much in his mouth! But Frosted Flakes is the breakfast of champions!!
he looks so cute in his easter outfit and seriously dont blame him, easter bunny still freaks me out, it is just not right for a bunny to be that big and not talk. At least santa is a person!
MIssed you guys this weekend, but looking forward to lots more grilling and chillin over the summer!
What a beautiful blog, Amy. Nola's gotcha day falls on Thanksgiving Day 2007 and has become more special because of that day.
What a lovely first Easter with your LM. OMG, he is just darling in that picture with the Tony the Tiger flakes. That face - so beautiful...how can you stand it?? ;)
Choking has always been one of my biggest fears for Nola. (One of the reasons why I will be cutting grapes in half for several years to come).
Happy Easter!
Tears through big smiles, Amy, you do it to me every time! You always say it well and this time, you expressed it so beautifully.
You jumped to grab him and expel those nasty Frosted Flakes faster than I could but other than that, a very special day with a very special boy! Thanks for sharing your LM that day and so many days. We all know he was meant to be the little boy you were to have and we cherish every day with him as you do. Hard to believe it's been a year since that joyful, tearful Skype call telling us you met "the one" and almost a month to "gotcha" day. Such a change from "what am I doing here and who are you" to seeing this lovely little child knowing and secure in who his family is and what he's doing in our lives! Thanks again, you guys--you all Light Up My Life!
Love, M
I love watching LM grow!! He is just so darned cute, I don't know how you stand it either!!
That sweet little vest is precious and I bet LM showing up to surprise your husband was priceless.
That's the good stuff. Absolutely!
Ah, the choking. A favorite past time around here. I keep waiting for all those old food hoarding habits to disappear but they still rear their ugly heads.
LM is so dapper in that Easter outfit. It looks beautiful there--should be after all the precipitation you've had all winter! He is such a handsome guy, I can't wait to have him as my son-in-law (they can take turns choking and heimliching each other, I think that's how all great marriages are made).
I was so happy to hear a year ago that you guys had met your perfect LM, and he is just perfect for you, so adventurous and funny. You guys had such a long journey to meet him, and you all deserve every blessing together.
Happy Easter!!
4/12/2010--happy anniversary of your metcha day!!! I know what a whirlwind it was to even to get to that point and what excitement it was to hear that all was well and you had met the new man in your life and now a year later, it all just makes sense. You guys were meant to be a family! It is amazing to see how far he has come since those first pics!
Happy day!!!
Another beautiful post Amy, as always! Love the first part, where did you get that? Love the funny part about letting LM have more FF too :)
Happy Easter! Can't wait to see some meetcha day pics!
Post a Comment