I find it astounding and hilarious (and, ok, a wee bit frustrating at times!) that this child, who was barely hearing 6 weeks ago, and doing his best to imitate words, has found his first full sentence which is fully audible to any audience is, "I do it myself". And nothing like a control freak little kid trying to out-choice, out-decision, out-attitude his control freak mom. It's been an interesting and fun time. While I am serious about this skill, however, and while sometimes I find myself taking a deep breath (ok, and even walk away but still within sight) so I don't have a knee jerk response -- holy cow - it is really hard. Why is it that the things they chose to exert control over with verbal and physical manner are always the most unsafe or socially inappropriate boundary testing activities?? Pull the plug on the tub and replace it 10 times before it drains? Sure, why not, we have no place to go and it will just keep you in the warm, water to help you start revving down to sleep... But, No, LM, I don't care how much fun you think it will be, scaling the wall above the houses, at our driveway level, at our neighbor's house which does not have a fence is just not OK... And then other times, things that you are like "Please, will you just start taking control of X (fill in things like "potty training, feeding yourself, entertaining yourself while I go to the potty without you standing there and hugging my legs, etc etc etc..)
It is funny the things about parenting we are learning... and loving... He really is a great kid!
A Reindeer left it's antlers behind!
I know, I feel bad for the old guy... First a toddler in to shake up his space and attention and stepping down the totem pole, and now he is subjected to this this winter.... poor puppy... need to see a close up to the challenges of his life?....
Meanwhile, on the Little Man front, we are working on self feeding... Yes, I am an OT.. and Yes, much against usual OT theory, we took away all self care skills... Yup, we did take the approach to regressing him -- we sat him on our laps the first month home and had him face us, and we fed him... and he learned to chew, and he learned to eat a variety of foods, and he learned to make eye contact, and he learned to trust.... And now that he's feeling better, he's 2, but back to eating anything we put in front of him. Non-negotiable. Volumes vary, as they do with all toddlers, but whether it be eggplant or quesadilla with turkey, or tonight's dish of salmon/cous cous/ brocolli, he eats it... When we feed it to him... LOL. Ah, yes -- so now we are working on progression of self feeding... my friend, Joan, and OT also, laughs at some of our approaches -- I've been known to pull out cheese knives with cool handles he'll want to hold to look at (did you know that you can scoop pretty good with those?), toothpicks to have a meal of mangos, apples, and cheese, and that you can come up with all sorts of elaborate ways to make a plate fun that do not include buying plates which have Dora, etc on them (sorry LM, we are saving for your sibling and you can eat off our plates... although someone gave us a plate with Handy Manny or some sort of character and he LOVEs that one. Of course he spends most of his time shoving food around in it just to uncover Handy Manny, not necessarily eat it...LOL)... And you know what? While I am sure a lot of people are thinking "Well, just tell him he has to eat it".. and yes, ultimately I am sure that would work. But, the thing is, I want him to approach meals with excitement and fun, and with my background in feeding, I worry if I push him too much, I'll get too intense for what he needs...we also find that some of our "antics" to get him to eat also promote social exchanges and skills that will help him later on... We'll see how it goes, but so far I truly believe the benefits of regressing a 17 month old who was self feeding everything down to soup and porridge with adult sized spoons far outweigh the cons....For our family... I know this is not the right choice for all families, or for all children... but this little boy needed a lot of help knowing he was connected to us -- he was just old enough to "be his own man" but not quite old enough to understand how things are connected. Seriously, it's amazing the difference in adoption that a few months in either direction can make.... Of course, this is all not to say that we aren't sometimes saying, "LM, do you really NOT remember 7 months ago, or is it just more fun to pretend you don't remember?".... :)
...Hey, it's the "Reindeer Arches"..... .......Yummo.....
It's been a really cold winter. Well, who am I kidding? It is probably no colder than it's been the last 5 years, I am just finally not locked into some sort of working situation where I never see daylight in the winter, and so actually now take notice.... which means my old joints are also taking notice... and LM is finding all sorts of creative ways to stay warm... And, so, "Big Whitie" -- we bought "Big Whitie" 12 years ago, in a store in Palo Alto. People thought Jeff was crazy "Why do you need that coat here?"... Let me tell you how often we fight over who gets to wear that coat walking the dog together, etc... And, of course, LM can't be left out of the "Big Whitie" action....





4 comments:
Ah ha! So, LM's speaking in sentences now! Well worth going through the surgery that helped him hear again, even if it did involve night terrors, etc. He's on a roll now, & can really express himself as a 2-year-old. Lol! He's so adorable & has a great sense of adventure, even if he's still too young to know danger. Dear Ashton looks like he's off-duty as the "Lassie" figure who'll rescue his boy in any circumstance so it keeps Mama & Papa busy picking up the slack. And, you guys do it soooo well!
Love to you all, AN
They have Handy Manny plates? Who knew? My poor neglected kids only think there are plain blue ones. haha. The feeding comes and goes. He'll do it. We regressed K, too. Not to a bottle, but to us feeding her everything while facing us. She is totally capable of manipulating a fork and a spoon, but depending on her mood that day, she may or may not do it well. We have a history of power struggles around food, so I just ignore it. He'll tire of "acting" and get back on board....on his own time, though, not yours. Isn't always the way?
I love all the pics, but you know I especially love the dog sunbathing. That dog was meant to live in CA!
Love the pink horse "riding'. If I know our LM, he's just practicing for his first riding lesson and he doesn't care what color the horse or tack are. He definitely does have a mind of his own but that is because he's so smart and 99% of the time has such a sweet personality (of course, I'm not there for most of the tantrums and night terrors)that the occasional "I do it" moments are funny (at least to Gamma). He is really showing his basic wonderful little person personality and I love it. Good job, as usual, Amy.
he is precious...and boy, do i know all about those independent 2 year olds. Leeza used to eat everything..now she's a picky butt. I am going to send her to you!
Guess what! Sean and I are going back to Kaz on a mission trip..april 30th to May 9th to almaty. I'm SO EXCITED. :)
Post a Comment