Thursday, December 31, 2009

"And there was a new little star who seemed to light up the whole world"

The title of this post is exactly how we feel. And I thank Louise, Jeff's sister, for finding the beautiful card that she gave us saying exactly that. The star we'd hoped for for so long. That is our LM.

Hope. Exactly 1 year ago, I posted about Hope. And the "Starfish Story". (click here if you want to read it - it's a great story)

Do you know what my older brother and SIL gave us for the holiday? A ceramic plate with a starfish in it. I asked him, "Do you read the blog?" (A: "Sometimes") Upon further asking, he TRULY had no idea about the starfish story - Somehow, they just thought that it was the perfect gift for us. I will be hanging it in LM's room. And, UB, you are officially forgiven for barely reading the blog since clearly you are "connected" to our LM heart and soul, too -- besides, LM loves the silly phone texts and pictures you send him to keep in touch, so ceramic plate wipes out lack of blog stalking. Are you reading this?? ha ha ha. I should make it clear, tho, if you read the story, that I don't feel we "saved" LM -- I think he "saved" us... but the concept, of mutual helping and doing all you can in the world. Well, that is one of the things I want most to define our family -- and is a motto I've lived by for as long as I can remember... Anyway, the post...

Birthday Hike - In 27*
(But it's amazing how many layers you can put on a kid to ensure he gets his birthday hike in!)

Hope. Literally, some 20 years ago, I hoped I'd have the pleasure of having children through adoption. What leads people down the path of adoption is individual to every single person. These days, it is not an easy path once you are on it, and so many people have difficult journeys before they turn their hope to adoption.... And, Did you know in 2009 just over 12,000 children came to the US via adoption? And that is 5,000 LESS than in 2008? and 10, 000 less than 2006? Days of blog entries could be filled with my thoughts on all of this, from my personal and professional standpoint. While I may not always post the "trials and tribulations" of first time parenting of a "competent" (read: strong willed and independent) toddler after adoption, believe me, we experience much of what many adoptive families do. So, I want to be real for just 1 minute -- Yes, we post about all the joys of LM b/c most of the time, they are just that... But, the realities for us before he came home, for those of you reading who are already parents, and for those who are waiting -- you all know -- What keeps all of us on that path is Hope and Faith. There were minutes, days, weeks, months when I wondered over and over how it would all play out, IF it would all play out for us to have a child, with us, via adoption.
Well, let me tell you -- Faith and Hope. Keep it up, friends. Hang tight and follow the course if you are on -- waiting for your child.... As hard as it may be -- minutes that feel like hours, days that feel like lifetimes -- I always tell families I work with, while it is incredibly hard, that their child will make it home, and it is up to us to keep up the hope and faith until that day rings true... There are so many moments that simple DO NOT make sense when you are waiting, trudging thru the paperwork waiting waiting waiting... It is then that you find your family and friends help carry your hope and faith until you have enough to muster up to keep going...

But, when your child is home.... I truly hope you find the same: Because this past week was so much more than we could ever have hoped for. Really, LM, overall, is more than we could have ever hoped for... But this holiday season truly brought it around full circle for us...

There were so many pictures from a 1 week period that it's scary - So, I will post just a few, and know that family and friends will forgive us if they don't see their mug shots on this post - it was fun seeing everyone this week!

I firmly believe no woman gives a child up and doesn't spend parts of her life wondering about that child. A very good soul got pregnant, took care of herself and that child, and then made an incredibly difficult decision. That decision became our destiny, and with it she gave us a gift that I don't know could ever ever be re-paid. We want our LM to know his BM clearly loved him by the way she so clearly chose to go thru her pregnancy, and by making a decision to offer him a life different than what she could offer by enabling him to be adopted. I could talk for hours on this because while many would say better, I truly believe it is just different. We decided to honor her for this, and to help him, we'd light a candle each year on his birthday, and let it shine throughout the day... I found a candle that says "Let Faith Lead the Way" -- and it seemed very appropriate.. I told him, "You do not understand this now, and some days it may be harder than others to understand, but your BM loved you very much -- and her faith for your future, and our faith for you, led us together. You are very loved by her and by us - never forget that, and we will always thank her for the gift of you, and for fulfilling our faith with her promise of you"...

Lighting a Candle for his Birthmom

Later that day, we used that same candle to light his birthday candles. We kept the day low key, for too many reasons to go into in this post, and invited family from both sides to come for pizza and cupcakes...

Grandad Pete Joined the Cupcake & Candles Festivities via SKYPE
Cupcake Time!

And yes, that IS real icing. Don't ask about the cupcakes themselves, if you really don't want to know.. But you really don't think I'd have BOTH fully sugared up cupcakes AND real icing, do you?? :) I had been talking up LM's birthday to him for the weeks leading up to it -- I didn't want all the hubbub to increase his "alert" state -- and by that day, he was able to say "happy happy" to everyone. And, I really think that he got it -- the day (hike and all day with mama and papa) and the evening were all about him. As all birthdays should be.. :)

Jeff worked Xmas Eve and Xmas day -- while again many may think it was a bummer (jeff still may agree with you), just loved how the day turned out... I know, poor LM, destined to have his mom's humanitarian heart slathered all over his life, but jeff or I or both of us have always worked the exact holidays -- it always serves as a reminder to me that life is about giving, and that you must enjoy every single day. When you both work at a children's facility, it is a constant reminder. So, LM and I went down to the hospital - armed with a basket of goodies for kids and staff alike, we and our elf spred some smiles....


Papa & LM - Are they not the cutest boys? And, here they are, heading into a room to offer a treat and a smile..
Another great part of the holidays is that people are off, and that we parents find a way to completely mess up "schedules, sleeping and feeding" to spend time with others! So, I was super super happy that we could get down on a "last minute" trip to Delaware -- we got to see Andrew & then stop at the ELC and see some good friends there who LM had not yet had the pleasure of meeting... of course b/c it was the holiday, some others we would be off or with their kids... sorry we missed some of you guys!
Visiting with buddy Andrew on Xmas Week

Papa and LM get matching outfits to cheer on their fav hockey team!
See? Cute, right?

Visiting with Cousins and Future Uncle Rick!
(CONGRATS to Rick and Aunt Linda on their engagement! :) )
LM and my younger brother, his Uncle Dave (UD)
I just love this shot -- My brothers are awesome, and it was always an important hope of mine that our kids would have a great relationship with them.. and he definitely does! This is my younger brother Dave.... Dave is a great dad, and a fun uncle, and it's been so much fun hanging out with our kids -- I hadn't had a good shot of the 2 of them sharing 1 of their many smiles together and was happy to snag on Christmas night...
YIPPEE! Pretty much, this is LM's "Life Motto", not just at the bday/holiday time!

"It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" Home 30 weeks --
and LM says:
"Thumbs Up, Man, Life is Sweet -- Soak Up Every Single Day (no matter how cold it is!)"

And with that, the "last" post of 2009... We are so very thankful for this year -- for our family and friends, we are incredibly thankful, for your support before and after LM's arrival -- we love that you have embraced him in your lives, as we have....
And, for LM, our little star who definitely lights our world...
We wish for ALL of you a very very happy, healthy, faith and hope filled and fulfilled 2010...

** Love from our home to yours **

10 comments:

Jackie said...

Amy, I love this post so very much and I might just have to reference it on my blog soon. I could not have said what you said about adoption and birthmothers any better. I love how you will honor her each year on his birthday. Such a beautiful and meaningful day.

So happy to be able to share in your journey. Jackie x

Kris said...

Great post and so happy you were able to share your first Christmas together and a very special birthday.
I like how you are honoring his birthmother. They are very important people in our childrens lives even if our children never get to meet them.
I am forever grateful and also now thankful that we have some contact with them, albeit limited at times. They are one of many angels in our lives.
Happy New Year and we look forward to hanging with you guys soon. Have to see LM before Alek and Maks rip open his bday and xmas gifts :o)

Norine said...

You know what a photo nut I am, Amy, so I just love the pics you include in your blog. Seeing Pete on Skype is funny & I love how your boys dress in father-&-son uniforms.
You so eloquently express what so many of us adoptive parents feel towards birth mothers who give the gift of life. God's plan for our lives may be different than what we expect, but hanging in with faith & hope sees the blessings come. May you, Jeff, LM & Ashton have your best year yet in 2010! Love, AN

Diana said...

...and what a year it was, with such a happy conclusion. Great post from the lovely, giving woman that you are. While I love seeing LM in person and hanging out with him (thank you for sharing him so much), I also love to read the blogs because you do such a good job of sharing him and yourself (and Jeff and Ashton) with us all. Uncle Brian may not regularly read how often he is mentioned in your posts but his Mom makes up for him because I look forward to them, waiting to see which of LM's photos you post and reading your thoughts. Yes, you and Jeff went through what so many other adoptive parents went and are going through, and yes, it seemed interminable and so painful (to go through and to watch) while it was happening but that adage that "good things come to those who wait" played out this time. Such a pleasure he is, so much fun, so sweet (when he's not being "2" or having night terrors but then that's part of parenting and being a kiddo). The birthmother candle is so like you, so thoughtful of others, and we, too, are grateful to her that she obviously took care of them both when pregnant. "Happy, happy" says LM and happy, happy he makes us all--thumbs up LM, Amy, and Jeff! Love, M

Kristine said...

Oh Amy and Jeff I am so happy for you and LM! He is adorable! Oh those curls!

What a wonderful way to approach the BM issue. It is something with Noah that is not part of every day conversation, although adoption is. I felt like you did in the beginning, that Noah's BM did something selfless but over the years my views on that have unfortunately changed a bit. I think mostly as a result of the "issues" that continue to surface with Noah that can't all be attributed to being in an orphanage. That is something I need to work on because I don't ever want Noah to feel that way.

What a wonderful way you spent Christmas. And a wonderful way to raise a child to be so thoughtful, just like his parents are!

Shane & Marie said...

What a wonderful post. It even brought me to tears. I truly am happy for you both. I feel the same way about Bryson. I don't feel like we rescued him, he rescued us. I sit watching him (at least) several times each week and think how much adoption has changed our lives. It's amazing!

I'm so glad LM had a wonderful birthday and Christmas!

Margaret and Tom said...

I love your post too! I was thinking before I read Jackie's comment that I should reference this post too :) I love the candle on his birthday to remember her...what a Great Idea!!!! I am going to have to borrow that one!
He is just so cute!!!! Love the Santa suit! He is a heart breaker for Sure when he is 18, love those chocolate eyes and his curly hair!!!

Kristy said...

I love the candle idea, too. Brilliant! You know I feel the same way about birth parents, they deserve to be honored. They gave us the greatest gift and made the ultimate sacrifice for their children to have a better life. I've written about that, too, on our blog.

Of course, I love the pictures, too, as always. So sweet, especially that giant smile on LM's face!

Susan said...

what a great post. I love how you lit the candle for his birth mom. you are such an amazing mommy.

LM is beautiful and he does just light up a room..I can even tell by the pictures. :)

Happy New Year indeed. :)

Laura said...

Forgive me for taking so long to catch up on your blog, Amy.

I can't tell you how touched I am at the tribute you gave to LM's Birthmother. I mean -- what a sweet way of remembering the woman who brought forth your son into this world. LOVE the candle ritual!

And isn't Skype just wonderful! Such a great way of reaching out to family. Kristina hugs and kisses the computer screen when she sees Grammy and Poppy in FL on the 'puter.

And the "5'o clock" shot - very cool!

Blessings to you all, Amy, for a wonderful 2010. How can it get better than 2009???? :)

Hugs,
Laura xoxo