Week 28 brought our poor LM into a serious set of night terrors. The entire 2nd week and into the 3rd week of his post tonsils/adenoids/etc time, every night, 2-3 times/night. It was nothing we were warned up, and by the morning of night 8, we waved a white flag to our ENT who was speechless. Upon researching on the net, it seems we are not alone. So, truly, week 28 was a blur of sleeplessness & worry... If your child has not had night terrors, count yourself as fortunate, they are terrifying and heartbreaking for everyone involved... Thankfully for LM & us, week 29 brought a couple nights respit from the nightmares, and we are hoping they will continue to decrease....
Zoinks am I tired from not sleeping much.
While week 29 was still a blur, it was less of one. Jeff and I had both taken a few days "off", as our hope was to head south to Florida for a few days of warmth and sun the 3 of us before LM turned 2... But, the T&A put that on a "hold", and we thought about the "local" chocolate land & their candy lane fun... but the night terrors put a hold on that (we were being compassionate to our fellow hotel go-ers). So, we rounded up some fun, right here in our own backyard... Here are some photos of the fun...
First, we went on the local "Polar Express" -- it was an old, coal stoked train. Truly, every time I take him out of the car seat, he has this look of wonderment and "what adventure now, Mama?" expression. Well, let me just tell you -- I thought LM was going to jump out of his pants when we got out of the car. He is into book trains, trucks, etc but this was his first "in person" train -- and talk about synapses hopping. It was hilarious.
Our LM LOVES music. To the point we really wonder about his heritage - He will find any musical instrument in any locale, and play it as much as he can. On the train, he was hooked on the guitar guy, who was kind enough to show him "the ropes.." er,I mean "the strings"...
There are, on a Thurs - Sunday, up to 400 families on this train. Of course we were ever so glad to hear that and that we chose to go on a Tuesday -- it was us, our buds from college and their kiddos, and 1 other family... so, we got lots of attention from the "crew"... including...A little visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus... Ironically, the adopted a little gal from China 13 years ago... so they spent extra time with him... This was about as close as he'll get to Santa this year... LM is going through, what we feel, is a very healthy latent stage stranger anxiety (which we would like to think means he is realizing he is connected to us)... So, while many people will disagree, we know he'll not be happy with sitting on some strange man's lap... and we've opted out of the crying child photo for this year -- we've all worked too hard on attachment to this point -- why have the big guy in red upset our LM this year?
It's been a super cold week here on the E. Coast... and LM has been completely into his woobie. Yup. We can't get the thing away from him. No worries, we have a vice president and woobie ready and always in a different place, just in case president woobie finds it's way to an unexpected demise... meanwhile....
We also got our tree this week... Yup. We drove and drove all the way to our local tree farm (aka: Favorite Dairy Queen) and we tromped through the rows and rows of the forest (I mean, parking lot) to find the winner...
We wanted (ok, strike that, I wanted, and Jeff went along with it) to start some sort of new tradition that we could do every year on the night we decorated our tree... so here's what we did...
First, Bonfire & Hot Cocoa to get ourselves into the mood
Then...
we NEVER let him eat anywhere but the kitchen table, so LM was completely into this whole scene!! Note, Ashton has wisened up to see if he could get himself some action and a piece of the "christmas pie", if you will.Then...
All in all, it was a great night, and a really nice few days off together...
At the end of the week, Jeff got snowed in at the hospital, so LM and I and Ashton held down the snowy fort (we are talking 14 inches people). Come on Florida and Cali friends, don't hold back with your envy of our white and freezing cold Christmas wonderland. You are welcome to visit ANYTIME. LOL :)





6 comments:
First off Happy Birthday to LM today!!! Extra special for his first birthday with his family!
Loving the last picture the best. The crazy snow was fun. Hope you are catching up on sleep now as well.
I know you will have a great first Christmas together.
Those are absolutely the greatest pictures!! I LOVE the one of him wrapped in his woobie, too! What terrific memories you all are making & some day the night terrors will be just a distant memory, cushioned by all the good ones. Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us & please give LM a big birthday hug from us. Hope to see you soon. Love, AN & UT
First, Happy Birthday, LM. We are so thrilled to spend this birthday with you! Second, what fun to have him stay overnight and all day with us while Mama taught and Papa worked. He was a very good boy and we had lots of fun (and, thankfully, a nice nap because Gamma isn't so young anymore). Night terrors are no fun for anyone--funny that LM got them at 2 and so did Uncle Brian--well, it's not so funny, wasn't for me and Brian and not for you or LM but, given that there are no genetics involved, it is "interesting" that he has the same likes as Mama and Papa and the same quirks, like night terrors, as other family members (someone I know walked in her sleep). Love the pictures and the traditions started and we look forward to our first Christmas with our LM! Love, M
Oh my God, that last picture just takes the cake, all wrapped up in a blizzard at your own house. We have to visit snow,and it's usually fake, so I just can't stop laughing at that picture! About the train...we had a similar experience when we took the train to the Grand Canyon this summer. The kids just loved the whole thing and it was fun to watch--which is good because otherwise it would have been a snoozefest for the older sect who enjoy faster travels.
Oh, and as for Santa. I was iffy on it even this year and our kids are older and have been home twice as long as LM, so you shouldn't feel any guilt about that. I didn't want to do the whole Santa thing our first Christmas (last year) because I felt like the kids were too overwhelmed with the idea of presents as it was (they fondled the first one like the shiny box WAS the toy, then when I showed them there was something inside, whoa! was that exciting!), so I am in total solidarity with your decision not to visit Santa. I hope you all get some sleep soon, and if not, that you invest in an awful lot of caffeine. :) Merry Christmas!
Ok, I'll admit it! Yes, I do actually miss a White Christmas! It was chilly here today, so I pretended a little, but it didn't work. So glad I could come to your blog and see LM sitting in his chair with snow falling around him! Merry Christmas and enjoy everything that Santa brings you....or that he already brought you, Momma! Love, D
Oh Amy! I am so sorry to hear what LM has been going through with the night terrors! That is awful, and makes one feel so helpless...Milana has only had a few thank goodness. I hope they are better now. Love the picture of him wrapped in his woobie blanket!! That is a classic for sure, and so glad he went on the train ride, I bet he LOVED that! Thanks as always for all your support, sorry I have been a slacker blog reader :)
Post a Comment