Sunday, June 21, 2009

Time is flying....

Time is flying. Truly. I so appreciate all the support last summer when time seemed like it was moving backwards... and now, here we are, wondering: Where is it going? It truly truly amazes me --- Each day goes by so quick, and with so many laughs and "where did he learn that?" i can't write things down quick enough!!! Incredibly, this was our 4th week home together -- all in all, we had a good week, and continued to learn more about each other...

Jeff was working Saturday so we went to visit Papa at work for a little while, then we headed home and took a detour past Mum Mum Betty's house --- She is Carl's mom, and she is just wonderful... Like Carl, we were "her" grandkids from the moment we met her... And, like Carl, she adores LM... Over the last few years of way too many working hours balancing several jobs and school, my biggest regret is not enough time with family and friends... Mum Mum was up on the top of that "not seen enough" list -- so, it was really fun to stop by and play... She taught LM "if you are happy and you know it" with a little stuffed duck that dances and sings it.. By the end, he was clapping his hands on the right cue. How smart is he??
Saturday Night Date with Mum Mum

LM LOVES the Zoo! Many thanks to Sherri, Steve, Wil, and Mei for their wonderful gift of the Elmwood Zoo -- it is 10 minutes from our house, and a really sweet, quaint zoo... At the first cage, LM just stared a minute then, holy moly, chattering away. Yes, our kid, who clams up when anyone is within ear shot, was chattering like no one was listening!! :) We couldn't hold back our suspense in going, and we really look forward to going again with Sherri and the kids once they are out of school! (next week??) :)
"Hey, Come closer, i want to talk to you!!"
to the Cougars!

Our little man -- tree hugger..
Hello, Mr. Deer...How Can I get on your side of the fence?


On a rainy day, we did "wheelies" inside!! how cool are we as parents??
No worries, Marsha Brady, we still don't let him play ball in the house....

We also got to go out to the barn this week!! He is incredibly interested and not at all fearful, yet also not lacking judgement or insight into what he is doing, if that makes sense?? He loved talking to the horses, walking out in the field, and playing with the hound puppies!

Walking with Gamma in the Barn to see Tre...
Felt Like a Lifetime Waiting to see this moment!!

Hey, Tre! Wanna Cookie??

Watching the puppies!!

While overall this is certainly not a very becoming picture of me, I must say HOLY COW. Look at those arms. I am RIPPED. Years and years of push ups and tricep push ups and never an ounce of appearing muscle.... play with a 26 pound kid every day, all day, for 4 weeks and POOF. I got muscles! ha ha ha ha ha...
Watch out Sarah Connor --- there's a new mom in town.. ha ha ha again!


Heading into Father's Day -- The Special Love and
Head Butts Shared by My Men...


Time has gone by incredibly fast... Yet it astounds me how every single day he changes --- This week as a very "insecure attachment" week -- he was more irritable, crying, and wasn't sure what would make him happy -- We stood by close, were compassionate to him, and pretty much responded to each of his cues and tried to see them coming to divert the "I don't know what is expected, or am scared I can't handle it, or what are you doing and I am not sure I trust you" looks with fun games, silly songs, etc...

By the end of the week, while still insecure, he is getting better 1:1 and seeking out more love, eye contact, and snuggles... he still gets confused when both of us are home -- it's almost as if he doesn't know how to have 2 caregivers -- it's one or nothing... And, so, when he shuns Jeff for me, we play games back with Jeff so that he can't exclude Papa but he can still feel "safe" with me... And thankfully, Jeff gets it -- he knows this is a phase, it's not forever, and that we need him to understand he can trust us both, and in time he will....
Things he learned this week:
  • If you're happy and you know it clap your hands
  • Belly (as in body part)
  • Drawing.... Yup... OT Friends, don't laugh. This kid loves crayons.
  • Stabbing with a fork independently!! (into his pears, which he loves again, thankfully, after a short vetoe)
  • Climbing into house up the 1 step with the wall and not holding one of our hands
  • That we read 3 books, between the 2nd and 3rd put our jammies on, and after the 3rd he turns out the lightswitch... and, after a few nights of figuring this out, yes, mam, this does mean he typically falls asleep pretty shortly after! YAHOO for all of us!!
  • Brocoli isn't as bad as it seems, after you've seen it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner several days in a row... and, i think he decided: "hey, yes, I think I will eat it".... and actually make a "HMM" sound on the day he finally did!
  • "Come Here" -- the dog went into a place in the house he shouldn't. I said "Ashton, come here" (no arm gestures or anything)... LM promptly extends an arm, points at his puppy, then waves, TOWARDS himself in a fully appropriate, 100% correct "Come here" gesture... What? when did he learn that? who knows. This kid is a sponge.
  • There is so much more. I truly need to keep a string and notebook around my neck to keep track of it all!!


"It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" Home 4 Weeks Photo...
"It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" Home 4 Weeks Photo Double Take...
Did someone say 4 weeks???
Yup, and we've even already taught this kid how to show 4 fingers...
Sure we did. Don't even think it was a fluke. It was planned, completely...

Yup. Time is flying... And, it's amazing -- last summer, I wished it away... Now I am wishing for each day to be as long as possible.. This kid just warms our hearts and souls. He is better than sliced bread. And we love sharing our time with him!!!

5 comments:

Diana said...

OMG,Amy. I LOVE that picture of LM and me approaching "Tre" to meet for the first time. The look of fear in Tre's eyes (ahorse is fraid of cameras--not little boys) when they finally meet but no fear in LM is so funny. LM is so drawn to and wonderful with all animals and that says so much for his nature, character, and compassion already. We have all waited so long along with you two and such a reward we have received for our not always there patience. He is changing so much and in such good ways and, I'm sure, because of all the love, attention, and knowledge you two have, he is doing so well in his transition. Looking forward to many more visits to the barn; his first ride; many more hugs from LM, and many more smiles on your faces. Mom

Unknown said...

I don't blame LM for being irritable last week with all the rain & gloom. I was ready to cry, too. But, it sure looks like he enjoyed his trips to Betty's, the barn & especially the zoo. I love that pic of him calling to the cougars!! He's learning so much so fast &, like Gamma, I'm thrilled he loves animals & seems to relate to them so well. What a great little Nature Boy! Hugs to you all. Love, Aunt Norine

Kristy said...

The zoo is a perfect place to hang out. We went to our zoo often when we first came home (hate to brag that we live near the World Famous SD Zoo...hahaha). And we still go all the time! Funny, our kids started talking a lot there, too. Something with the animals, I guess--maybe they all understand each other??

Susan said...

oh my gosh, you are so freakin cute! I love your joy and excitement and your love for your lil man and LIFE!
it does go by SO FAST..and your lil man is SO FREAKIN SMART! I love it! He is so cute!!!!

I think he is doing amazing! You know..I didn't think Leeza was a "cuddly" type of kid..she would let us hold her, and loved being carried, but didnt' really seek out hugs and kisses so much, and didn't like to sit in your lap and read books (like Sean did)
Fast forward to 6 months home..she is a CUDDLE LOVE BUG! Plops down my lap and wants book after book..grabs my face in her hands and plants big kisses on my lips...RUNS to Daddy when he comes home..it's amazing.

I guess I just didn't realize that affection and hugs and loving and being loved is a learned behavior!

So, your son has only been home 4 weeks and he is learning. He is learning that you and his daddy love him to pieces-and his mommy has totally ripped arms, and he has so many cool people and zoos in his life and they all love him.

I can't help but smile as I can't wait to keep reading about his adventures.

I am jealous of the zoo outing-we would melt right now at the zoo..way too hot to go and the animals hide from you in this heat.

I love reading your love for your son, and life. Your joy is contagious and little Man is catching it too. :)

He is a genius..and SO CUTE! I love his curls!!!

His accomplishments are really incredible. Leeza likes pens more than crayons, and grabs them from people. she also thinks all computers have "babies" in them...as she loves to come and see her videos and read her blog.
LOL

Shane & Marie said...

He is doing so well and is such a doll. So you have a fearless little guy also? Oh boy, just wait and see how funny that can be (note the sarcasm). I can tell you are having way too much fun with him! Eventually your arms and back will stop hurting. I remember how it killed me to carry B for more than 30 minutes. Now you should see my muscles.