Well, our little man is growing up... He is sweet, fun, charming, and totally loving for the most part!!
Yes, folks - he has realized "hey world, i am two"... and -- ah, the stretch for independence, right? on one hand, i am glad to see him move into the "typical" stuff... on teh other - holy cow: who possessed our baby and when? Right, Mama. Key word: Baby. Reality reminder: No More a baby. At least not unless he wants it!!
It has been a busy month -- In which we've done many fun things, and we learn more about parenting... LM is a great ball of energy and fun... But I must admit, this month has been the most challenging of parenting times -- as LM reaches for independence in some really great ways, some not so great ways, and at the same time says "mama, baby baby" and then wants to climb up and snuggle...And all attitudes and "thow-itudes" in between, if you know what I mean... I think I am pretty compassionate to him, as I realize it is really hard being 2 1/2...
Apparently he hasn't gotten the memo yet that we are new to all this (or maybe he has, so he's working us more? LOL), and isn't so compassionate back in his choices sometimes. LOL
and arm farts are apparently something of my near future..
In many ways, it is really funny the things that he is saying and doing to "go for the gusto with independence-oso"...
Examples include:
- Peeing on the potty 1-2x/day (Yahoo!)
- Attempting to operate large machinery solo (ok, scissors and other "big people" construction things that as an OT, i am actually OK with your interest!) but then the next you are flailing on the ground b/c i will not carry you from the deck to the freezer to get a popscicle
- Ditching your "same age" friends to literally seek out and Engage "big kids" (read 3 & 4 year olds) in ball play at the playground, only to cry terrible tears when I wouldn't carry you over to the swing or feed you your snack (which you usually love to self feed your snack!)
- Trying to dive off the ladder at Ron and Josie's pool, not seeming to care if we are there to catch you, or that you can't yet swim... then turning around and playing "trash truck" on the ladder, and we absolutely must be right there with you, as you go "beep beep beep --chsshh - brakes Mama" then say "boys tow in da trash" (boys, throw in the trash) and insist I pretend to throw in the trash
This month brought Uncle Brian and Aunt Susan to town -- we all headed to Northbay, the super cool and fun place we got married, to celebrate Gamma's bday! (out of respect for Gamma, we won't say which one! :) ) It was great to spend the weekend with everyone, and we are so grateful to Carl for renting Northbay -- we all had fun hanging out, playing games by day and night, and waking up to watch the kids tear around together and play in the pool together...
Before we headed to NB, AS and UB came over to play with us at our house!!
You were so happy to see your Uncle Bri-Bri again!!Before we headed to NB, AS and UB came over to play with us at our house!!
Yahoo!!! Happy BDay Gamma, Too!!
Two cakes in one week? holy tamole. We are crazy here in the east!
"It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" Cheers Uncle BriBri & AS...
54 Smashos, Uncle Brian....Joke.
June also brought Jeff's 2nd Father's Day!! As it turned out, he had Sunday off, so took Monday and Tuesday off, too... He had a great idea: "let's take the kids (ashton too, of course!) to the beach!! we had a great time!! We went to Cape May, found ourselves a last minute deal cheap, and it took dogs! gotta love that!! And, as it turns out, Dave, Barb, and cuzns Jack and KT were there, too -- so we got to hang out!! This was LM's first venture to a beach beach, with crashing waves and large beaches with miles and miles of sand... Here are a few shots from our adventure there...
Two cakes in one week? holy tamole. We are crazy here in the east!
54 Smashos, Uncle Brian....Joke.
June also brought Jeff's 2nd Father's Day!! As it turned out, he had Sunday off, so took Monday and Tuesday off, too... He had a great idea: "let's take the kids (ashton too, of course!) to the beach!! we had a great time!! We went to Cape May, found ourselves a last minute deal cheap, and it took dogs! gotta love that!! And, as it turns out, Dave, Barb, and cuzns Jack and KT were there, too -- so we got to hang out!! This was LM's first venture to a beach beach, with crashing waves and large beaches with miles and miles of sand... Here are a few shots from our adventure there...
It really suits us well, don't you think? Maybe we should move there.
Who needs a football when you have a LM to toss around in the ocean?
During this trip, LM learned a few new "tricks" including:
LM Sportin the Alma Mater (Thanks, Jess n Dave!!)
Ashton LOVES Cape May.
Sunset Beach Baby... Dogs allowed year round.
We HAD learned a parenting lesson very well and this time we didn't let him drink any ocean water... Don't ask us about the first time we went to the beach with Ashton.... ha ha ha
Good thing another mom clued me in on the "wear red" before we went :)During this trip, LM learned a few new "tricks" including:
- "Up High, Down Low, In the Middle, Cut the Pickle" -- and he needs to do it to everyone!
- How to eat a bagel with cream cheese! Truly - bc of my wheat allergies, we simply aim to be a bread free house... but turns out he loves bagels with cream cheese, so we may re-think that!
- "Ashton my brother"...
- In books, he finds groups of "3" and, when possible, "4" -- and proceeds to say "that mama, that papa, that aslan, that ashton (he now has the sh and t blend in his articulation! go boy!).. it is SO cute and i find it sweet that he is connecting us all as a family...
- Counting better -- he can look at up to 4 things and count them pretty well!
Sunset Beach Baby... Dogs allowed year round.
We HAD learned a parenting lesson very well and this time we didn't let him drink any ocean water... Don't ask us about the first time we went to the beach with Ashton.... ha ha ha
All in all, this is one great kid -- the month wiped out Mama and Papa, tho, as we had an overlap of 6 weeks of terrible tantrums with 5 weeks of horrible sleeping.. we are talking 30 out of 33 nights with our LM waking up like clockwork a few hours after going to bed, screaming, then taking a few hours to settle and go back to sleep....He's never been a great sleeper, we've always had a few good weeks with bouts of bad sleeping, but this is the worst it's ever gotten...
We all felt awful and are hoping we are closer to a solution --
With respect to the tantrums, we tried everything from:
- Denial -- not our baby, no way
- Anger -- did you just hit someone (often times mama or papa), AGAIN?
- Acceptance -- moved all the breakable items and furniture he could run into out of the way. Man do 2 1/2 year olds take up a lot of room with their tantrums
- Humor -- who am I kidding? we tried to find humor but it didn't go too far! :)
- VooDoo -- changed the feng shui in his room in terms of furniture and head position
- Voo Doo 2 - exorcisim. Just kidding - were you paying attention?
- "Romans" -- I wish this was some biblical answer that worked like a magic wand; rather, it's more like "when in rome, do like the romans do" .. however, given the size of our house, we found there wasn't enough room in the floor for us all to roll around and tantrum off our frustrations; there was one instance where he and i ended up crying on the floor because i was just so sad i couldn't do anything and overall so exhausted (re-enactment photo to come. LOL) ... We love you LM and watching you be so unlike yourself and so upset makes me super sad...
- Old Wives Tail -- making sure he had matching pajamas on at night, in hopes that would bring him good sleep and less tantrums (that one is for you, Mr. Mix n Match PJ's Papa)... LOL
I mean, who could even guess this gorgeous little face could have a dark side by day, then stay up all night? Of course, he DID turn 2 1/2 this month, too, so maybe that is part of the explanation?? And was so stinking cute. completely hard to believe :)
Dairy Queen, of Course!
Amidst the craziness, our LM found his voice in June, 2010 -- truly -- it was absolutely incredible how much he really blossomed with talking... and the things he linked together were just stunning... things like:
LM: "Mama, sit in Car" (at bounce u in the lobby, there is a quarter operated car)
Mama: "LM, I can not fit in there. I am too big".
LM: "Mama, you are TALL. Mama, you giraffe"
pause.
LM: "Mama, I no send you back".
Mama: "Thanks, LM - I am so glad I can stay with you!"
(The "tall" and "send back" , I am guessing, are him pulling thoughts from good night gorilla and dear zoo,-- in GNG, i always say "duck Mr. Giraffe, watch your head, you are tall" when the Giraffe goes into the house, and in dear zoo, they send the giraffe back because he's "too tall")
Amidst the craziness, our LM found his voice in June, 2010 -- truly -- it was absolutely incredible how much he really blossomed with talking... and the things he linked together were just stunning... things like:
LM: "Mama, sit in Car" (at bounce u in the lobby, there is a quarter operated car)
Mama: "LM, I can not fit in there. I am too big".
LM: "Mama, you are TALL. Mama, you giraffe"
pause.
LM: "Mama, I no send you back".
Mama: "Thanks, LM - I am so glad I can stay with you!"
(The "tall" and "send back" , I am guessing, are him pulling thoughts from good night gorilla and dear zoo,-- in GNG, i always say "duck Mr. Giraffe, watch your head, you are tall" when the Giraffe goes into the house, and in dear zoo, they send the giraffe back because he's "too tall")





7 comments:
Wow...no wonder why you needed a little hiatus from posting! Sorry to hear it's been a challenging time with sleep issues and tantrums...would love to know what your HSSW said to try and resolve them.
From the pics, it's hard to believe that LM could have any other side besides being such a joyful angel. I LOVE to hear what he's now saying...isn't it just grand when they can successfully communicate what they feel?
Anyways, I LOVED every part of your mega post (and yes, I read about the exorcism!) - please give that LM big hugs from the Dearys!
~Laura :)
I'm tired just reading!!! You must be exhausted!!!
Looks like a lot of fun was had, and I hope that the behavior mods and plans given to help with the sleeping issues! I think we as a society are so used to functioning on whatever sleep we can get, but MAN...when you can get a good night's here and there--makes all the difference! Hoping lots of good nights for you all are coming!
Hooray for potty!!!
2 1/2....so fun and decidedly un-fun at the same time. I am laughing about how much space a tantrum takes up. I think I remember mentioning that to you during our first ever conversation, something like, "OMG, these tantrums take up the entire room!!"
It looks like you guys soldiered on and had lots of fun activities nonetheless. It appears that LM really loves the beach. Just so happens I know where to find one. (Pacific Ocean is so far superior to the Atlantic...just sayin'.)
What a fun-filled month June was for LM, & I'm glad there were so many happy times amidst the two-year-old tantrums. Good thing he's so darn cute! May you all be blessed with good nights of peaceful sleeping so all will seem right with the world. Remember what my friend told me..."These are long days but short years". Let's get together soon! Love, AN
I think we all should move to the beach! Such great pictures and what a great update. This LM is so going to be ready to be a big brother!
So happy to see the update-what an update indeed!
Hugs from Texas!
what a jam packed fun month for you guys, well minus the sleep issues--it truly is amazing what little sleep parents can function on!
I love seeing the changes in LM, I love how busy and fascinated and interested in every little thing he sees. It is neat to see him explore his surroundings, ah the joys of this age. 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 I believe is such a hard time, but still filled with so much fun. They can truly drive you to the brink of insanity! Hang in there, you guys are all doing great. Not that I see him that often, but he reminds me of every 2 1/2 yr old boy I have ever met, (sleep issues aside). Challenging little buggers they are!
Hope you guys are all getting more sleep!
Looks like you had a great weekend with your family. NorthBay was such a cool place! Hope we can all be back there one day!
He is so freakin cute. and i love his big boy bed...and yeah, gotta love their independent streak.
but, wow, is he ever smart!!! impressive!!
xoxoxoxoxo
Post a Comment