Friday, July 10, 2009

A Young American.....week 7

First Fireworks!
We live right across the way from a place that shoots off fireworks... So, as this 7th week began and July 4 weekend rang in, LM had his first fireworks show. Of course, he slept calmly thru the entire thing while snugged in his bed, while his puppy quivered and got as close as he could to us! It's really amazing and we feel so lucky we can stand at our slider and watch the sky light up! Week 7 started with the arrival of July 4, and since our new little citizen just received his citizenship certificate, we did some "army training sir.... " (movie buffs, take a shot at that one)....oh, I mean american training...ah.. american playing.....

Young American's Can make their Own Margaritas....

All Good Children Here Learn to Count to 20 before they are 2.
Here he is, doing short division lessons on his abacus.
Given how splendidly the baby pool went, we decided to hop the neighbor's fence to try out a bigger pool for size... LM loved loved loved it... In fact, so much so that I think he wants to be a fish in his future life (Yes Aunt Debby, that one was for you. of course, Aunt Becca will need to tell you about it as I am not sure you are still following the blog! he he he)

Inspired by Michael Phelps, US Olympic Champion 2008....
LM, US Olympic Champ...20XX??

And, Of course, What Young American Child
does NOT kno
w how to do "CHEERS"???

And, of course, should come as no surprise that, given who his parents are, this LM has a huge humanitarian heart.... Paired with his love for great American poets such as Dr. Seuss, it should come as no surprise that LM has already done some great charity work with gusto...


Here he is, reading to Earn $$ With his "5 books/day" Quota -- Who signed up for 5 bucks/book betting he wouldn't do it? Time to Show Him the Money...

It was a silly week, with lots of smiles and some new things... Including..... Meeting Jabib....
Kevin and I go way back --- all the way to our Cali days... Back when Mama was young, fun, and ran around with a great silly crowd of "we are invincible" early 20 something group -- Mel, Samir, Brian P, Joan, Jodi.... Anyway, Kevin lives in central PA and sadly, we haven't seen each other for years.... we had a "phone" relationship that worked well -- we both were driving everyday around 5:30am, so we'd 'catch up" as he drove to MD and I drove to DE.... YAHOO for us!! Jabib has a new job with MedImmune which brings him to Philly now, has him commuting less, and home with his great wife and beautiful 2 kids more!! Lucky for us, he was in town for a conference so he came over to play!! We had a great time catching up, taking him on a boat ride, and enjoying our view!! A-choo... what? LM has learned that imitating sneezes is funny this week... which reminds me: Everyone, get their FLU shots. (you are welcome, Kevin, for that unsolicited commercial! LOL)...


Hiking in Betzwood
Ok, technically it was a walk. And, LM and I did the SAME walk the next day with April, without the hip sling -- and LM walked probably at least 1 mile of the walk in the woods! Way to go, little boy!!
Things we really enjoyed together this week:
  • Meeting Shelley -- Shelley Saunders is our HS SW and an old colleague -- she has been in the adoption business forever and really is fantastic -- I have had the privilege of knowing her through families we've both worked with, and she was a godsend during our adoption process... LM sensed right away she was a "get it" person, and he showed off all his cute little tricks for her!!
  • Pretending to walk Ashton -- he loved this week to take Ashton's leash and drag it all over the place, as if he was walking Ashton... of course, he likes to hold the leash when we actually are walking Ashton, but this new "inside" imaginary play game is hilarious to watch....
  • Loving on stuffed animals -- Monkey and Lion in the cars are now good friends. He literally looks for them when he gets into his car seat, smiles and makes all this chattering when you hand them to him, and then he kisses and hugs them!!! In his room, he now wants his "room lion" during night time book/bed time, and naps... (we have to keep stuffed animals in strategic, non-Ashton locales..... you can guess what happens if we do not...and, if you can't guess, just picture white fluff all over the place)...
  • KISSES!!!! He has been leaning in to others to give them kisses upon command, and this week, when we were on the boat with Kevin, to be precise, for the first time completely unsolicited, he turned around on my lap and planted a nice sloppy wet kiss on me...and he didn't stop... it was wonderful!!!
"It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" Home 7 Week Photo.. how do you like his hair??? LOL

5 comments:

Susan said...

ok, i think my favorite shot is his making margeritas!! :)

what a wonderful 4th of July-and how awesome you get a firework show for FREE right from your own house!!!

My heart swelled when I read about the unsolicited kisses. That is my FAVORITE...and how wonderful that he really gets that,and so soon after being home!! He is one loved lil munchkin...and I love him earning his money for reading.

I read Leeza about 10 books, then she went off to find Daddy to get him to read books. We have books in her room and the living room,and after he read her a couple, she goes and drags the 10 in that I already read her. So, she must have gotten the message from your son that she can earn mad cash.:)

Wonderful update as usual! :)
He is SO CUTE! and doing long division already..super impressive.

Becky said...

Wow, it is amazing how you manage to catalog all those pictures and post them with captions and stories on any frequent basis. You have such a wide range of pictures that it is a mini week summary rather than a few pictures of one noteworthy event. You have pictures from lots of noteworthy events!! I don't think I could pick a favorite, but I really like the Aston shots in the pool and on the chair. And in terms of your other child, I think Aslan was super cute using the abaqus. I remember how much my parents used to read to me as a kid. Not only did I love it, but it got me super hooked on reading. However, as I'm sure you can imagine the journal article variety just isn't the same as reading a good book :-)

I totally see how it will be come a really awesome book!! (Even if I have been a huge slacker in my commenting ;-)) I'd been checking and something must be wrong with my computer as I only just noticed the July 3 entry and didn't think I saw it last week. Whoops!

I'm sure you were and are ecstatic beyond words about the unsolicited kisses from Aslan!!

Becca said...

So, you are definitely referencing STRIPES in your movie quote. Fortunately for me you keep picking movies I have actually seen and I guess you haven't fallen asleep watching.
While I am so glad to see LM learning to swim, can you get a tan for his instuctor? WOW.. I was almost blinded by the light (love you Jeff).
Seriously, it is so great to see him smiling so much in all the pictures. It is wonderful how much he has progressed in such a short time, but that doesn't suprise me. He has the BESTEST parents! You guys rock, which I guess is obvious, since you wouldn't be my friends if you didn't. Hee Hee.
One last comment.. I am glad he is learning to make Margaritas, since Ellie has told me that when she turns 21 she wants to go to the mexican restaurant in GA to have one of those "cute margaritas served in mason jars." Aslan can make them for her at summer parties. BTW- where did she ever learn about cute margaritas in mason jars??
Love you!!!
Aunt Becca

Donnadman said...

Hi Amy! Aslan is such a sweet little boy - I wish I could give him a squeeze! You are all very blessed to be a family! Love, Donna

Kim said...

Noah would like you to know that your blog has a "cool song." I LOVEEEEEE the picture of him making a margerita! Hysterical!!!!