Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Teaching me to sing....

This time last summer, I have vivid memories of some woman who was completely hysterical most of the time, and the only thing that seemed to have some resolve was white wine and potato chips --- I feared I would never know what parenting would be like... I wondered if it wouldn't happen to us -- if it simply wasn't one of those "meant to be things" -- And now, I look at him and forget all that, all that lead us to him that wasn't good, and only remember the "good" stuff (like the people we now call friends who we met along the way, and LM guardian angels both here and above)... All I wanted was for us to be parents, but I realize now -- I had no idea what parenting really was....
I mean, I thought I knew, but I know now, i didn't really "know"....
This is a "middie" post - short and sweet, and unfortunately with no pictures (I know, you can't wait to see more of LM, and you will as soon as I download all the pictures we've taken in the last 2 weeks)... It is more about parenting and the things this little boy has taught me...
We are coming off a long week with a good friend in town to co-teach with me up at Misericordia... Jeff and LM got to spend a lot of quality time, both up there and at home -- just the 2 of them while Mama worked... It was really good for them, but boy did I ever miss the both of them...
Yesterday afternoon, after his nap, the 3 of us had "catch up" time -- it was great -- we played in the pool, rough housed, and honestly, I have not heard the boy giggle that long or that loud ever. It was almost as if he was grateful to have it be "just us" and the quiet time together.. not that we didn't enjoy Aunt Joan, I just think the entire shift in routine for 7 days was a bit much for our incredibly flexible 19 month old...
Today, we had a great late morning together as Jeff was working 3 - 11... After his nap, LM and I headed to the barn, where he once again wow'd us with his full out interest in the horses and all things barn.... I think, truly, if we do not get him on a horse soon, he is going to be very angry with us!! We got to stop at Gamma and Granddad Carl's house on our way home, and watching him play, really play and engage with Carl and my mom, just truly brought such smiles to my heart... It is just so clear that this little boy has brought ALL of us something we didn't know we were missing until he came into our lives....There is so much this little boy has learned already from us, but I can't even begin to tell you the things that I have learned from him....
... to have patience, humor in the oddest of hours
... that yes, you CAN let a 19 month old chomp on ice cubes and he will not choke
... that no matter how "icky" i thought "sticky" things were in the past (OT friends, read "I am very tactile averse"), it is incredible how quick you can learn and be comfortable with wiping, swiping, and catching all sorts of goop you swore you'd never be able to touch....
... that sitting on your dog, no matter how much CPL said he wouldn't handle it well, actually seems to make both you and your dog happier (at least when you are the size of a 19 month old)...
.... that, while you crave it all day long, when you actually have another adult around to watch said child so that you can go to the bathroom in peace, somehow you are a bit lonely sitting on the potty....
.... that stopping just to watch someone mow the lawn on their riding mower can be fun and interesting, and just plain nice to have a reason to stop and enjoy the world together...
.... that an unexpected smile from your child can make you completely forget anything you were saying, thinking, etc....
.... that giggling nonsensically while rolling around on the floor and tickling each other is fun, even when you are 41 (and almost 42 Jeff! LOL)....
There is so much more, but I have found myself so in awe of this little boy, and of his flexibility to live, learn, and love.... more people in life should take a look and absorb some of his attitude. it really is refreshing....

And as I sat down to do work at 10pm as little rascal chose to NOT fall asleep until just before then, I read a quote at the bottom of someone else's email...

"If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing." - Sir James Barrie

I thought HE would be the one learning all the time... but i realize, it is all of us-- and that we may not be learning what we expected to learn, but man it sure is nice. In fact, it's a whole lot better...and for those of you waiting --- it WILL happen to you, no one can take that away from you -- and you, too, will find it was worth the wait....

5 comments:

Laura said...

aw, geez, Amy --- I've cried enough this week with Kristina starting "school" but now I'm crying all over again! I can completely relate to every word and feeling you expressed.

I always had faith that things would work out for the best but I didn't realize what an understatement that would be. It is comforting to know that not only have our dreams been fulfilled, but surpassed.

Hugs to you, Jeff and LM!!

~Laura :)

carrie said...

Hi Amy!
Wow ...what a great post! I totally relate to everything you wrote. Many times I need to truly stop and let things happen and look around; even though they may not be so exciting to me (more so to my little guy)
LM is so cute!!! I can't wait to see more pictures!

Carrie

Margaret and Tom said...

I stumbled upon your blog because we are starting the process of adopting from Russia, and plan on a little guy too :) Your LM is sooo cute, can I tell you, and I love this post, especially the part about not going to the bathroom by yourself, but somehow being lonely if he isn't there (we have a little girl from Kyrgyzstan who is 20 months so I can appreciate this :) Just wanted to drop a note that I am reading your funny blog and enjoying it! M

Unknown said...

What a difference a year makes, Amy K. LM was so totally worth the work & wait! I'm loving how you're savoring every moment with him & thank YOU for sharing it with us, too. Love & hugs to All!

Susan said...

I'm still SO sorry you had such a rough journey to LM..but-now-as you can see, you had to wait for him...and now you you see WHY..and you are so grateful for him and all the he entails...even gross goop. :)

Love ya!